Friday, November 15, 2013

21: free


Keeping on the topic of change, one major change in my life recently has been food. I am by no means a health freak, but I do enjoy eating healthy, fresh food. This, surprisingly or not, has been so difficult to do while in college. I really wish the dining hall had more healthy options, or at least changed up the salad bar once in a while. Another thing I miss is fresh fruit. I loveee fruit, and yes the dining hall has cantaloupe everyday…my least favorite :/. They also occasionally have strawberries and frozen blueberries. Recently, I have been eating out a lot because I really don’t enjoy the way I feel after I eat in the dining hall. As most, this cannot be something I can continue to do because I am on a budget and eating out everyday is quickly eating away at that. I understand why it must be hard to bring fresh food in because they must get this food in mass amounts, but there must be a way to fix this. Sometimes my friend lets me borrow his car and I always choose to go to whole foods with it. Sadly, when I walk into whole foods I get a rush of happiness and a feeling of being at home. Not that I ever buy thaaaat much while I am there, but every time I walk up and down every aisle just admiring everything. Of course, I always buy fruit while I am there and usually make a nice salad and get some food from the hot food bar for dinner. Another great place that I would recommend to anyone who wants to do a small, healthy marketing is Babo. Although it can be a little bit pricey, I think it is worth it. It is a block down from state street and has great, fresh options!




















 
While my time in college I believe looking into more options for dining halls might be something I might look into, so kids in the future do have better options to choose from. I cant wait to go home for thanksgiving and have some home cooked meals!

1 comment:

  1. You may want to check out Trader Joe's as well. They have great local and healthy food. I know what you mean about the dining hall food. My family is really food consious about GMO's, chemically grown vegitables, fruits, and animals, and eating healthy. I miss my mom's healthy meals and eating with the family every night for diner. It is so difficult to try to eat healthy with such a low income, like most college students have. If I see your future campaign for healthy dinning hall food show up, I would be willing to get involved.

    ReplyDelete